Sunday 13 April 2008

Day of the Osprey

13th April. Blithfield Reservoir, 12:30 - 16:00.

1 Osprey at 13:00 between Ten Acre bay and St. Stephens bay, quite close to the shore. It looked like it was trying to hunt, but was continually mobbed by Oystercatchers. Then took off towards the causeway, and didn't see it again.

This really is the world's worst photo of an Osprey (the dot in the centre), but hey it's my blog. The Oystercatchers are giving chase (the two dots up and right a bit).




Also around Blithers today were 2 Common Sandpiper, 4 White Wagtail, 1 House Martin, 3 Blackcap, 3 Pintail, 1 Goosander, 1 Shelduck.

I suppose I now ought to add in the disclaimer, as appears on numerous occasions. Access to Blithfield is by permit only (apart from the causeway and watery lane). Trespassers will be tied up in piano wire.

Uttoxeter Quarry, 16:30.

Then as approaching the quarry, what's this thing hovering over? Osprey again! You name it they mobbed it! Shelduck, Oystercatcher, Lapwing. It eventually moved a bit further away towards the River Dove, and then took a dive right down as if to catch a fish. Just couldn't see where it went afterwards though.

Also at the quarry today were 2 Common Sand, 3 Green Sand, 1 Dunlin, 3 Goosander, 2 White Wagtail, 4 Buzzard.

3 comments:

Martyn Yapp said...

Tut, I left at about 12.15pm after walking the deeps and doing Tad Bay. The picture by the way, is worthy of my blog, well done.

Richard Powell said...

Thanks Martyn, I am honoured! If I'm being critical, I think the dots are a bit too large actually.

I noticed you left before I got there. About 20 mins after the Osprey appeared, I got to the dam. Eric Clare was there, he hadn't seen it.

Later on I then showed Sam round the Quarry at Uchiter, so at least he saw that one!

Kay said...

Exciting to see the Ospreys Richard! We weren't too far away from you and Martyn yesterday, wish we'd plumped for Blithfield now rather than Cannock Chase/Chasewater. Oh well.