Sunday 11 May 2008

Return to Cotton Dell

Sunday 11th May.

It was a wise move to get out for an evening walk, following a rather surreal experience. I was on "Points Of View" today!

I sent an email to the BBC a few weeks ago, after watching "Later with Jools Holland" on the Friday. I may have had a few drinks by then, but it all seemed like a repeat the live show earlier in the week. Also, and I hadn't thought of it until Jeremy Vine said, it's still called "Later", but the live show is on earlier!

Even one of the producers came on to explain. What was really weird was the bloke who read my email out definitely wasn't me! They gave me some southern dialect. I thought they always used the voices of the people who write in, otherwise what's the point of making them sound like they're on the phone? Surely the BBC aren't cheating again are they (don't call me Shirley)? I suppose they were doing this back in Barry Took's day, but not making them sound like they were on the phone.

Anyway, after a brief first visit to Cotton Dell last Monday, I decided to explore this woodland further. I waited for the heat of the day to pass, it felt nice and cool in the shade of the trees.





2 singing Wood Warbler
4 singing Pied Flycatcher
4 Grey Wagtail
2 Jay
1 Great Spotted Woodpecker

Despite the warm weather, it's amazing how fast the leaves have developed within a week. At this rate it won't be too long until the woodland birdsong settles down.





The bluebells and wild garlic well into bloom. Cotton Dell is a lovely spot. I can't really decide which is best between here, Dimmingsdale and Hawksmoor. They all have their own qualities and all are worth visiting. From a birder's perspective, Dimmingsdale tends to get the most of Joe Public visiting.

No comments: