Saturday 26 July 2008

Clash of the Sports, what are Sky doing!

What's going on here? The Twenty20 Cup Final on Sky Sports 1 (Middlesex v Kent), and the World Matchplay Darts Final on Sky Sports 2 (Phil "The Power" Taylor v James "The Whimsy" Wade)! I'm currently flicking between the two, with Sid Waddell morphing into Bumble (aka David Lloyd). They've messed this up, surely the darts final could be tomorrow?

Speaking of David Lloyd, there's a fantastic piece on Youtube here!, where he describes a rather eye-watering moment when facing Jeff Thomson.

Just a quite look round Uttoxeter Quarry in the late morning. Not a lot really, but a mixed flock of Great and Blue Tits also contained Lesser Whitethroat, Blackcap and Garden Warbler. I always think it's now a good time of year to find Lesser Whitethroat in amongst tit flocks. They become easier to see than in the spring.

I also took my butterfly book along with me, as a warm sunny day equals perfect conditions for butterflies. In amongst all the Meadow Brown and Large White I managed a few Small Skippers, Red Admiral, Speckled Wood, Small Tortoiseshell and Gatekeeper.

I also found a Holly Blue in the garden today. I admit that does sound like someone who should belong on a late-night TV channel for discerning gentlemen. But unfortunately for me, it's another butterfly.

Just to add a bit of colour to this blog entry, some photies from my garden. You can't beat a pot of Petunias!



My Honeysuckle's blooming for the first time in years! I really hacked it back heavily last winter.



I replaced the old french lavender in one of my big pots, that had nearly had it (cuttings have been taken), with a Chocolate Cosmos. The flower really does smell of chocolate!

No comments: