Sunday 20 July 2008

Sunday 20th July

Right, England are getting thumped by the Proteas, let's get out and about for a bit. There's always the dulcit tones of Henry Blofeld on Test Match Special to keep track of the score (my dear old thing!).

After a quiet visit at Uttoxeter yesterday, typically I was informed of a Sanderling in the quarry this morning. No sign by the time I got there however, but there was 1 Greenshank, 3 Green Sandpiper, 1 Dunlin, 6 Common Sandpiper, 8 Goosander.

Blithfield Reservoir, 16:00 - 18:00.

A walk along the Admaston side of Blithe Bay produced 1 Dunlin, 4 Little Ringed Plover, 1 Redshank, 3 Common Sandpiper. Also a singing Sedge Warbler which is a rather unusual record for this part of the world.

In Tad Bay there was 1 Little Egret, 14 Black-Tailed Godwit, 3 Common Sandpiper, 1 Redshank. Then low and behold, at 6pm, my friend the Osprey appeared again!

As the Fulmar that appeared at Blithers at the end of May was christened "Freddie", I think the over-summering Osprey should have a name. I think "Ozzy" would be appropriate, with West Midland connections and all that. Assuming it's a male Osprey of course. Perhaps I need to get this ratified by the Blithfield committee.


This week sees another of my highlights of the sporting year. The World Matchplay Darts from Blackpool. This part of the world, north staffordshire, is the spiritual home of darts. That being the old "Jollees" nightclub in Longton, and we have the greatest darts player of all time, in Phil "The Power" Taylor. Did you know Eric Bristow lives in Leek, it's true.

But best of all, is the appearance of another of my favourite commentators, the great Sid Waddell. I could go on about some of his quotes, they're easily found if you do a search on google. My personal favourite is "The players are under so much duress, it's like duressic park out there!".

Oh what the heck, here's a link to some Sid quotes here!

No comments: