Sunday 5 October 2008

2-1 to the Pub Team

Saturday 4th October. Uttoxeter Quarry, 11:45 - 13:05.

Just a quick look round the quarry before heading over to see the mighty Brewers against Crawley Town. 1 Wheatear and 3 House Martins was about as good as it got, birding wise anyway. Not bad considering we're now into October.

As for the game (apologies to Nigel Clough and Ben Robinson as it's only the second game I've been to this season). I really wanted to go to this one as us Burton Albion supporters have a history with Crawley Town's manager, Steve Evans.

As manager of Boston United, following an FA Cup game there about nine years ago that ended 1-1, Evans was quoted as saying "we made Burton look like a pub team". We won the replay 3-1, and ever since then that "pub team" remark has followed him. Especially after our last minute penalty that won the game, the chants of "2-1 to the pub team" filled the Pirelli Stadium.

Sunday 5th October, Uttoxeter Quarry, 13:15 - 16:00.

A most pleasant afternoon's walk around the quarry, which also produced by far my most unexpected find so far.

Whilst walking along a hedge trying to get a view of a Chiffchaff, when out of a Hawthorn, in the middle of the afternoon, a Barn Owl flew out and away from me! What's all that about? That's unbelieveable, because there's been absolutely no sign of any during the summer. If it was a cold day in the middle of winter it would be a bit more understandable.

So in addition to the Barn Owl there was a good mix of "season cross-over" migrants. 1 Redwing, 6 Swallow, 30 House Martin, 1 Chifchaff, 1 Green Sandpiper, 11 Snipe, 1 Dunlin, 4 Curlew.


Well folks, this is the last blog entry for a couple of weeks or so, until my return from my birding week in Shetland. Unless I find any free Wi-Fi access in Lerwick. Even if I do I'll be too busy birding during the day, and in the evenings I'll be more interested in finding the produce of the Valhalla Brewery.

1 comment: