Sunday 12 July 2009

How to bore other birders about a Spoonbill!

You know how sometimes you just can't get off to sleep, because your mind's whirring away and it won't switch off? Well, after finding that Spoonbill that's exactly what happened to me. After a lazy Saturday morning, feeling a little groggy but my mind still on cloud nine, I decided to head over to Blithfield.

Luckily (lot of that about at the moment) while I was on my way there was a text from Martyn about five Common Scoters in Blithe Bay. That'll do!



Then over in Tad Bay were a Greenshank, 2 Redshank, 1 Dunlin, 2 Wigeon and a calling Raven. Martyn then had endure the whole Spoonbill story whilst sat in the Tad Bay hide, I'm sure he started nodding off at one point.

Feeling that my luck was in I decided to put a few quid on the lottery. In case you're wondering, I didn't win a penny!

Sunday 12th July, Gailey Reservoir, 12:15 - 13:15.

Let's see how the last day of the test match goes before deciding to go out or not. Well, not long in Kevin Pietersen left a straight ball and got clean bowled, lets go to Gailey!

While listening to test match special in the car an email was read out that read my mind. "I'm not going out, I could go out, I'd have a better day if I went out!". Unlike that chap I did go out to escape what was looking like a pummelling defeat to the Aussies.

Anyway, there's been a female Red-Crested Pochard at Gailey, and here she is:



Following this I thought I'd better check Uttoxeter Quarry before going home, but going via the causeway at Blithfield. Eric Clare was around and we had a chat, mainly about the Spoonbill funnily enough. I promise I won't go on and on about it for ever!

A Greenshank had arrived at the quarry today:



As well as 2 Green Sandpipers and 12 Curlew.



As for the first test, amazingly we didn't lose! England held on for a draw, which from watching the last hour of play Ricky Ponting chose the wrong bowlers for the final few overs. Not that I'm complaining.

No comments: