Tuesday 8 June 2010

Another White-winger!

I wasn't going to post a blog for last weekend. Mainly because on the Saturday I didn't do any birding. I desperately needed some new tyres for my car.

As for Sunday, I was out birding but it was rather quiet. Best I could manage were 5 Ringed Plovers at Uttoxeter Quarry. Later in the day I gave Whitemoor Haye a try, just on the off-chance of a calling Quail. Didn't hear anything resembling that, but it was pleasing to see and hear a few Corn Buntings jangling away.

But thankfully, a good bird turned up on the Monday, in the form of a White-winged Black Tern at Belvide Reservoir, presumably the same bird that was found in Shropshire the day before.

It was only a fortnight ago when I was watching large flocks of White-winged Black Terns in Poland. But knowing how gorgeous they are at this time of year, I can't get enough of them, so zoomed off to Belvide after work. My first visit to Belvide this year actually.

On arrival the bird spent most of it's time flying around the eastern end of the reservoir, from the Scott hide. Then after a while the bird rested to preen on the north shore. The tern also sparked a "coincidal-impromptu-mini-birding-bloggers-meet", as over the course of the evening the Blurred Birder and Archie Archer also paid visits to the Scott hide. Good to meet and chat once again.

1 comment:

Jesse Cash said...

That picture at the top of your blog is amazing. Good Shot.