Sunday 13 June 2010

A Welcome in the Hillside

Sunday 13th June, Blorenge, Gwent, 8:15 - 10:00.

If a twitchable bird looks like being a long-stayer, then I don't mind biding my time for a bit, to let the masses past first. The Brown Shrike in Staines was a little extreme for that though, I did leave it for nearly two months!

I wasn't going leave the Marmora's Warbler that long of course. I did want to go yesterday, but I've had a bit of a sore foot the last few days. Just a bit of ligament damage but not easy to walk on. As a result I've been on the phone to Fabio Capello to give him the bad news. My trusted left peg would be of no use at the moment!

After a Saturday of ice packs, anti-inflammatory pills and watching the World Cup, my foot wasn't too bad by the Sunday morning. So it was off in the car into deepest Wales. To Blorenge, a few miles away from Abergavenny.

After parking up and a short walk down the hill to the Marmora's Warbler's territory, the bird was showing well straight away. During the course of my visit, it was continually flying onto various bushes to sing, never really staying very long. Everyone was treated to quite a few display flights, and the bird was also seen carrying nest material into a gorse bush. Good luck with that!




But what a lovely spot the Marmora's Warbler has chosen as a territory, although it is way off course, but I would imagine habitat not unlike, from it's usual Mediterranean islands. Plenty of other birdlife on the hill side as well including Whinchat, Wheatear, Stonechat, Tree Pipit, Cuckoo and loads of Meadow Pipits and Skylarks.

With mission accomplished, back in the car and off home to more of the World Cup. In fact, the car park at the top of the hill, with the masts and a warbler from the Med, kind've reminded me of the Foia mountain in Portugal. I did have a quick look around the masts for a few Rock Buntings, but there was no sign.

No comments: