Sunday 11 July 2010

Three Wheels on my Wagon............

........and I'm still rolling along, but the Cherokees aren't after me. Thanks to a crack in one of my car's wheels and it gradually letting air out, got the spare wheel on my jam jar at the moment. It limits how fast you can go, so that scuppered a twitch to Slimbridge to see the White-tailed Plover.

But I have been pottering around. Just a couple of visits to Uttoxeter Quarry. Notable highlights on Friday evening (9th) included 8 Green Sandpipers, 3 Common Sandpipers, 2 Ringed Plover, a Curlew and 2 Oystercatcher.

As for today, Sunday 11th July, the quarry held a single Black-tailed Godwit, a Little Egret, 1 Common Sandpiper and an acrobatic Hobby, hawking dragonflies at the eastern end and causing panic among a Lapwing flock.


Also managed a butterfly picture, Small Skipper I think.


So that's the birding up to date. Apart from the hassle of buying a new wheel, at least there's the World Cup final to enjoy this evening. As it turned out, the real star of the World Cup has been Paul the Soothsaying Octopus! Now the World Cup is about to finish, perhaps Paul should branch out into other predictions? Like where the White-tailed Plover is going to turn up next.


But perhaps Paul should stick to football. Certainly the best pundit I've ever seen, apart from Jimmy Hill!

No comments: